Braswell Memorial Library to Kick off Summer with Rocky Mount Children’s Event
Ringing in the new season, this Friday, June 17, Braswell Memorial Library will host its Summer Reading Kick-Off Party, marking the start of their a Summer Reading Club with the annual Rocky Mount Children’s Event taking place just minutes from your new home at Belmont Lake Preserve.
The Rocky Mount Children’s Event, which is held every June, will start at 10:00 a.m. and run until 1:00 p.m. on the back lawn and pavilion area of the library located at 727 North Grace Street. The “Summer Reading Kick Off Party is aimed at encouraging the children to sign up for the Reading Club, which this Summer is following the theme of “On Your Mark, Get Set…READ!”
This Friday’s Rocky Mount Children’s Event will feature much more than just sign-ups, however, with games, snacks, and fun activities for the kids throughout the day. Several special guests will also be on hand to greet the kids, including, the Chik-Fil-A Cow, Sparky the Firedog, McGruff the Crime Dog, the “Balloon Lady, a stilt walker, and a magician.
The Summer Reading Club at Braswell Memorial Library kicks into full gear immediately following the Kick Off Party on this upcoming Tueday, June 21 and will run throughout the remainder of the month and for the entire month of July as well. For those who sign up for the club, there are prize giveaways for five different age groups ranging from toddlers to adults, where each member and age group has goals set for them to reach, goals earns the prizes once they have reached their different goal throughout the program. A full schedule for the Summer Reading Club can be seen here.
The five different groups for the Summer Reading Club are:
- Read-to-Me Group– This group consist of toddlers and preschool age children whose parents, older brothers or sisters, or caregiver reads to them. Once they have had 30 books read to them this Summer, they receive a prize book of their choosing.
- Elementary Reader Group– This is the first age group that reads by themselves. They get to choose their prize book once they have finished 15 books this summer.
- Young Adult Group– This group gets into reader longer and more advanced books and once they have finished seven of these, they get to select their prize.
- Adult Group– Adults are encouraged to get in on the reading club as well. By turning in their “Reading Record Sheets” weekly, they earn a small prize and are entered into the grand prizes drawing to be held on the club’s final day, July 30.
- Genealogy/History Group– Another group for the adults, this one focuses on those readers interested in their family lineage and history. These members will also earn a small prize for turning in “Reading Record Sheets” each week and in doing so will be entered in the grand prizes drawing as well.